Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Guilty!



I recycle. I recycle my paper, plastic, cans, batteries, CFL's, glass, and cardboard. I recycled my old computer parts, monitors and TV. I recycle at home only. I am so ashamed to admit this, but it seems so difficult to recycle anywhere other then at home. I cringe at work each time I toss another gallon plastic jug into the garbage. I feel so guilty tossing out paper and plastic when I am out and about. What am I going to do, bring it all home with me. I can't. I could try to make "Corporate Pet store of America" recycle. I could at least ask someone if we could implement a recycling program. I could keep some of the garbage in my car until I get home. But I don't. OK so those who know me, I do keep a lot of garbage in my car.

So to make up for my guilt ridden lifestyle outside of home I am going to start doing a few things at home to make up for it (kind of like buying carbon points on a corporate level).
  • Turn off water when brushing my teeth and washing my face. (it seems so simple, but its harder then you think).
  • Take shorter showers, I already only a shower every other day.
  • Set up recycling bins next to my car so I can empty out all my garbage I have decided to bring home and recycle at the end of the day.
  • Stop using disposable feminine-hygiene products. I found a wonderful product called the DivaCup.
  • I am looking into cloth diapers for my daughter (she is two, this may be a harder transition for me then her but if I have another child, its cloth for sure).
  • When I need something new look for used first.
  • Buy organic when possible.
  • Look for locally made/grown products.
  • Get regular tune-ups for the cars.
  • Stop using paper coffee-cups. Bring my own coffee tumbler!
  • Refill water bottles with my own filtered water.
  • Start looking into recycling for "Corporate Pet Store of America".

These are just a few things I intend to start incorporating into my life right away.

2 comments:

Wreckoning Force said...

Keep it up, sister!

Tommy

Lizzy said...

Great blog, sis in-law! I'll add you to my blogroll.

I know how you feel. I am a great recycler, but I could be doing more. I know I should trade in my SUV, but it's so good in the snow that I'm reluctant to do so.

I'm surprised Petco doesn't have a recycling program. That sucks. You should make them change that, if you can.

You have great tips. I'll follow your lead.