Friday, December 14, 2007

I Am So Frustrated

Recently I have been reflecting on my life and that I seem to be moving into a greener direction. I started using CFL's, I recycle most everything in my home, try to buy organic (when I have enough money), I use canvas bags at the grocery store, I buy and use locally made earth-friendly cleaning products, turn the heat down, and look for new ways to save our planet every day with-in my meager budget. I don't understand why the American government can't get on board with slowing down global warming. Wind turbines, solar panels, bamboo as an alternative for just about anything (including coal), and vegetable oil for fuel; we could be off-grid in a mater of years if we didn't let major corporations dictate how we get our energy. If the government offered an incentive to farmers to build wind turbines on their farms (along with their crops) we could save money and produce less carbon. If I had a spare $9,000 I would solar up my house so fast.

Why can't America be just a little greener. Why does it take an international accord to push America into helping our planet (we skipped out on the Kyoto Accord - the second one we might just be guilted into attending). It seems so simple but major corporations refuse to change. Consumers want to change, consumers are changing. You see "green" everywhere, you see organic everywhere, you see recycled products everywhere. But energy companies, oil companies, car companies refuse to make it mainstream and financially available for the average consumer. It is such a simple process for America as the largest offender to start making a difference. If we don't start making a difference, who will. America has always led by example, except in the last 20 years or so we seem to have slipped into a downward spiral of denial and self-riotousness. I for once in my life am saddened to be an American. Our political system is fucked-up, our dollar is loosing its value, our infrastructure is failing, and our country, nay our president, refuses to admit that something, anything, needs to be corrected. Our countries worst enemy is our country. We cant forget who we are. We formed a country and a government 231 years ago, we have been a respected world power for most of that time and now we just look like a spoiled brat that refused to give up any toys and admit they were wrong. I am ashamed to be American.

My goal with this blog is to write about how I am going to change my world, our world; one CFL, one soda bottle, one soy product at a time.

1 comment:

Barry said...

A lot can be done if each of us follow your example, pitch in and do our best. But it would be nice if our respective governments would lead instead of stand in the way.
I wish you well. Our little planet needs all the help it can get.